August 2, 2007

Close to home



Something pretty frightening happened in Minnesota today -- in fact, only a few miles from where I live. One of the major bridges, where 35W crosses the Mississippi, collapsed during rush hour. Rescue teams are still searching the river as I type this, but so far 7 people are confirmed dead, something like 60 people injured and taken to hospitals.. It's unbelievable. You don't expect things like this to happen, especially so close to home. I can't even count the number of times I've driven over that bridge. It's one of the busiest stretches of road in the entire state. Hell, I used to drive that way to work every day.

So far they haven't released any names.. I have that icky fear right now that someone I know might've been on the bridge, as I'm sure everyone in Minnesota is feeling right now.. My heart certainly goes out to everyone who is and will be affected by this.

If you wanna read more, here's the CNN link.