August 25, 2007

Persistence, luck and talent. In that order.

My friend Otis Frampton just posted a great entry over on his site. If you're someone who's even remotely interested in the art world, breaking in, persistence, luck vs. talent, etc., I highly recommend you go read it: Here's the link.

I agree with everything he wrote, and can relate to him. I feel like Otis and I are at similar stages in our art careers. He and I share the same drives to publish and create books, to tell stories and do things our way.

I know so many people that are mega-talented, and yet lack that balls-to-the-wall determination that's so important if they ever want to do anything with that talent. I mean, I don't consider myself a super talented artist, for sure - but I do have some huge amounts of persistence and luck. And those sprinkled together with a reasonable amount of talent = a pretty good mix. At the end of the day, I will do what it takes to accomplish my goals.

And let's not underestimate the importance of social skills. Having the right attitude, a sense of humor, and being likeable will take you further than your ability to draw a kick ass Wolverine.

So, yeah.. It's good food for thought. And guys like Otis are very inspirational to me, because he has goals and he's making them happen. He's set artistic priorities for himself, and I will soon be following his example. (More on that later...) Mike Wieringo is another inspiration, but in different ways now. His recent death has had me thinking a lot about the fact that you just can't put things off.. The risk is always worth it, because in the end we all have a small amount of time on this planet, and a small amount of time to create the things we want to create. For me, this means trying to steer away from random jobs that bog me down and consume my every waking hour, and working that much harder to get my own projects off the ground. It's a tough thing.. As anyone who's tried self-employment knows, chasing your dreams doesn't exactly pay the bills.

Anyway...

I will be back soon with some more art and announcements, as always. This month has been intensely busy for me, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully I can dig my way out of my "to do" list without too many people hating me for being late on commissions and such. :)