October 12, 2007

Unleashing the Wolves



First of all, THANK YOU to everyone who's commented on and emailed me about the Wolves of Odin teaser I posted. A couple months back, when I had this idea to take two of my great nerdy passions and mash 'em into one creative venture, I didn't know if it would excite people or not. As soon as I sat down and actually started coming up with the story, I knew I HAD to make the book, even if no one else was interested. I immediately knew that I was my own target audience for this thing. But the fact that people are excited about it and loving the concept makes it that much cooler for me. :) I kept going back and forth as to whether it was too early for me to start showing teasers.. but now I'm completely glad I did. After working on a "secret project" for a while, it's nice to feel a fresh sense of energy.

Anyway, so here's what I can tell you:
It's a comic book. I'm writing it, drawing it, coloring it, doing everything myself. I'm shooting for a graphic novel format, or an oversized one-shot, not an ongoing monthly title. I'm going to try and have it done in time for Comic-Con '08. I haven't decided yet whether I want to shop around for a publisher or publish it myself.. I may end up selling it online as a print-on-demand (ie. thru a Lulu shop, or something similar). Over the next few months I'll be looking into my options, but mostly my focus right now is on getting the thing made.

As for the story and characters.. at this point I'm gonna keep all that to myself (you never know when some copycat's gonna see my website and magically decide they want to do their own "vikings and werewolves" story)... Just know that I'm taking everything I love about viking culture and Norse mythology, everything I love about werewolves (werewolves the way they should be!), and intermixing the two into a story that I think is pretty damn epic.

I will be back every few days/weeks/months with more updates and sneak peeks of "The Wolves of Odin." For now, here's a look at one of my werewolf designs: