December 27, 2007

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem



I had to take a sanity break from sketchcarding to go see AvP 2. I'm a longtime fanboy of both the Aliens and the Predator franchises (who isn't?).. The R-rated trailer looked pretty awesome, so I was extra pumped to see it. (And, yes, I'm one of the few people on the planet who didn't hate the first movie.. I'm not sayin' it was great. I'm just sayin' I enjoyed it..)

Anyway, so part 2 kicks off exactly where part 1 left off. We get a glimpse of the Predator homeworld, which is awesome - for a brief moment I actually wondered, "Could this be the greatest movie of all time?" But no... Turns out, it's not a great movie. It's just semi-fun, semi-stupid eye candy for fanboys like me.

The scenes where we actually get to see Predator-on-Alien action are very cool. One thing I actually loved about this movie is that it's just one badass Predator taking on all the Aliens by himself. This movie did a much better job than the first one at showing how cool Predators can be. Unfortunately, the movie has way too many "human scenes," trying to develop characters that are all pretty annoying, and the dialogue's mostly terrible, and you can drive tanks through the plot holes. Blah blah blah.

If I had one wish for this movie, it's that the DVD would come out with an optional "Creature Cut," where they edit out all of the human scenes and just show you all 20/30 minutes of pure Aliens vs. Predator goodness. That is what the fanboys really want.

So, yeah.. Not a great movie. It's a step-up from the first one only in terms of the fact that this one is R-rated, and the Aliens and Predator get a bit more screentime.

3 out of 5 reggae head tentacles