January 14, 2008

Cloverfield - Don't worry, no spoilers!

I saw an advance screening tonight. I have to say, this movie's pretty much the definition of a popcorn flick thrill-ride. It's huge, loud, visually amazing... About halfway through, during a pretty intense scene, a guy sitting near me actually threw up. I'm NOT joking. The theater staff had to rush in and shake some kind of lemon-lime-smelling powder all over the "disaster zone" to keep it from grossing everyone out (I'm so glad I wasn't in the seat next to him). So I missed about five minutes while this was happening, but I guess it makes for an amusing story, so whatever. Poor guy - he ended up leaving the theater.

So, Cloverfield... It feels like the "monster movie step-brother" of The Blair Witch Project. If you're not a fan of shakey cam, you might have a hard time with it. I personally didn't have a problem with the shakey cam. I think it's kind of a fun format for movies. (I saw Blair Witch opening weekend and it was one of the most insane movie experiences of my life -- I loved it.) My biggest complaint about Cloverfield is that it's way too short. IMDb says it clocks in at 90 minutes, but I could've sworn it was shorter than that. It feels like the first chapter of a bigger book - it moves along at light speed, then bang, it's over. Left me wanting more.

So, yeah, it's a fun movie. If you can handle high levels of cinematic excitement, you should definitely go see it this weekend in the biggest, loudest theater you can find. :) Will it be your favorite movie of 2008? Probably not.

I'll leave you with this one spoilery link.. Consider yourself warned. If you're dying to know what the monster looks like, here's a picture.