January 11, 2008

Return of the Kings, Part 4



Part 4: The Completed Card

After a couple rounds of color tweaks, what you see below is the end result. I sent it off to Topps and New Line for approval. They gave it the thumbs-up, and that was that. So here it is -- my final card artwork for The Lord of the Rings: Masterpieces II trading card set. I had to give it a title, so I went with "Return of the Kings." Seemed appropriate, given the scene portrayed.

Click for larger version:


This will be one of the common base set cards - it isn't a rare insert like the sketch cards are. If you buy a pack when they come out next month, I'd imagine there'll probably be about a one in ten chance you'll get one of these. I'm a little nervous, because I have no clue how good the image is going to look once it's shrunk down and printed on the actual 2.5"x3.5" cards (it's almost a guarantee that the printer will translate the colors a bit differently than they appear onscreen).. guess I'll find out soon enough. Either way, it was an honor to be able to produce a tiny bit of official LOTR artwork that will be seen for years to come. I hope you all like it. :)

In case you missed any of my previous posts about this picture, here are the links...
Part 1: Concept & Rough Sketch
Part 2: Pencil & Ink
Part 3: Photoshopping Gimli