January 10, 2008

Sunshine



Being a sci-fi geek and a Danny Boyle fan (he directed Trainspotting and 28 Days Later), I really wanted to catch this one on the big screen, but for some reason it never showed up at my local theater... Anyway, it came out on DVD this week, and I finally watched it.

I guess the best way to describe this movie is that it feels like a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Event Horizon. It's an absolutely freakin' BEAUTIFUL movie. If you have a huge TV and a great sound system (which I don't, unfortunately), you'll wanna get this one, no doubt about it. The cast is great (who knew the Human Torch could act?), the music is great... I think the only thing that steers me off course is what happens in the last third or so of the movie. I don't want to give any spoilers -- and to be honest, I don't know if I could spoil it, because I'm still not sure I even know what happened -- but essentially it takes a weird, supernatural(?), horror-ish turn. At first I didn't like it, but the more I think about it, the more it feels like something that's there for the audience to ponder and theorize about. So, I dunno, I think I'll have to watch it again sometime and see if I get anything new out of it.

Over all, I'd recommend the movie. The first two-thirds are spectacular. The last third is strange, but still an intense experience.