February 25, 2008

Michael Clayton & Jesse James



Sorry for the lack of posts here this week. Been swamped with a couple projects that are due soon.. Haven't had time to take a break for commissions or anything. I rented a couple flicks and watched 'em while working tonight, though, so I figured I could at least type a couple quick movie reviews.

Michael Clayton
My thoughts are flip-floppy on this one... I thought the first nine-tenths of it were dull and depressing. I had a hard time figuring out what it was building toward or giving a crap about any of the characters. Then the very end of the movie was really good and felt like a satisfying payoff. So I don't know what to think over all. Good movie, but boring? Bad movie, but a great ending? I dunno.. Not worth analyzing. It was okay.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
LOVED this movie. Loved everything about it - the storytelling, the acting, the soundtrack. I can't think of a single thing I didn't like. Brad Pitt took me by surprise more than usual - he really put his dark side into the role, and dove into the insanity of the character. And I'd been hearing about how great Casey Affleck is, and now I can see why.. By the end of the movie you just wanna applaud him for his role. What a frickin' trooper.

I'm making the DVD for this my "recommendation of the week" on my site here. I'm sure there are lots of people who wouldn't want to sit through the movie, or might not be able to get into it -- it's a pretty slow and introspective epic. But I thought it was awesome and haunting, and I think most people who give it a chance will love it.

I gotta buy this and 3:10 to Yuma sometime and add them to the "westerns shelf" of my DVD collection. :)