May 22, 2008

Indy 4 Review - No Spoilers



Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a few cool moments, and a few exciting scenes that make you feel like good ol' Indy is back. It's great to see Marion again, and I actually kinda liked Shia LaBeouf's character, which was the biggest surprise.

Unfortunately, the story is all over the place.. It feels like it has a Mad Libs plot line, bouncing around randomly and nothing's explained. And there are way too many characters.. And lots of cornball dialogue (more so than the other movies). Lots of CG... Lots of scenes that made the audience groan... As I was leaving the theater, I kept thinking that it felt more like a Mummy movie than an Indiana Jones movie, especially the big doofy climax.

So, yeah.. I dunno, I'm not saying it isn't worth seeing. It has its entertaining moments.. But I definitely don't have any desire to run back to the theater and see it again.

Also, being a soundtrack geek, I must point out that I was very disappointed by the music.. Sure, they recycled some of the great Indy themes from past movies... But as far as new material, it fell flat. Not once did I think to myself, "Wow, that music is awesome, I need to get this soundtrack!" John Williams underwhelmed me, and that is a sad thing.

On an unrelated, happier note,
I love the trailer for Wall-E. :)