June 13, 2008

The Happening (no spoilers)



:(
M. Night, what happened to you.. ?

I loved The Sixth Sense. I loved Unbreakable. I loved Signs. I loved The Village. Then came Lady in the Water.. I thought Lady was terrible, and I was pretty disappointed. But I figured, hey, the man's allowed to have a stinker. But now this is two strikes. The Happening is pretty damn bad...

I won't spoil the premise, but I'll tell you that I think it's DUMB.. And the dialogue is bad. And the actors are bad.. I'm sorry, but when you cast Mark Wahlberg and John Leguizamo to be your leading men, the movie's doomed. Zooey Deschanel was a little better than the others and she's nice to look at, but still.. wooden crappy performances. There isn't a single scene that stood out as being really great or emotional, and - for me, at least - one of the trademarks of Shyamalan's earlier movies was that each one had several scenes that really stuck with me long after I left the theater.

So, yeah.. I'm a little depressed about not liking this movie. I really wanted the Shyamalama-ding-dong to be back in fighting form.. No such luck.

If you see a movie this weekend, see The Hulk.