August 15, 2008

My review of the CLONE WARS animated movie

First of all, let's get one thing straight -- I don't blindly love all things Star Wars. I was very vocal about my disappointment in Revenge of the Sith, and when I saw the first promo images for this new Clone Wars movie, I was feeling pretty pessimistic. And the fact that critics are now tearing it apart didn't help either.

Well, I'm happy to say that the critics are freakin' morons, because I LOVED this movie. I loved every minute of it.



It wasn't perfect, of course.. There are a few brief moments where the characters (either in terms of their movement or their dialogue) get a little clunky -- and, yes, there's some silly stuff. But none of it bothered me too much. I even found myself enjoying the doofy battle droids, which is something I never thought I'd be saying.

I loved the look of the animation, and the human characters really won me over. Going into it, I wasn't crazy about the design of Anakin and Obi-Wan, but they totally sold me on it now. In fact, I think those two are cooler in this than they were in the live action prequel movies. Anakin especially -- I was surprised by how much I liked Anakin in this.

And Ahsoka stole the show. I think she's the best thing that could've happened to this new series -- a cool, spunky, female Jedi. And I had my reservations about the idea of Anakin having a padawan, but I really like it now. It definitely makes him more interesting as a character, and I can only imagine that her eventual "going away" is going to play very heavily into Anakin's fall from grace. There's a lot of great brother/sister chemistry between him and Ahsoka (and isn't that what Star Wars is all about.. brother/sister chemistry?) hah :P

Loved all the villains - Dooku and Asajj both looked awesome. I look forward to seeing Grievous when the show starts up.

I loved the soundtrack, too. It's nice to hear something new and different. Recycled John Williams music would've been boring -- I really like the direction they went with the sound and score.

Dudes and dudellas, I thought this movie was awesome. Go see it on the big screen, and ignore the critics. Anyone who doesn't enjoy it should seriously consider removing that gaffi stick from their behind.