November 27, 2008

Australia

I treated myself to a movie last night. I was in the mood for something sweeping and epic, and I'll tell ya, movies don't get much more sweeping and epic than Australia. So far, critics seem pretty split on their reviews -- some are calling the movie unoriginal, some are saying it bounces all over the place -- and I would actually kind of agree with both of those statements. But I'll be honest with you, I loved the movie. It has the kind of hammy grandiose romantic feel that gives it an old school charm. It feels like something my grandpa would've watched and loved. And it took me on many emotional ups and downs, MUCH more so than any other movie I've seen this year. (If the little kid doesn't get you choked up at least once, you are truly dead inside.) It's a movie that isn't afraid to be funny, sad, and everything in between. It's like a pulp action romance novel unashamedly come to life.

I think this is one of those movies, more so than usual, where the state of mind you go into it with is going to determine how much you like it. If you've got a chip on your shoulder and are eager to be impressed, you'll find a lot of flaws. But if you're like I was and just wanna experience it for what it is (and are a sucker for these kinds of Legends of the Fall-esque movies), I think you'll like it a lot. And it's definitely one to see on the big screen -- I wouldn't recommend waiting 'til DVD unless you've got a huge butt-kickin' home theater. The visuals and sounds in this movie = amazing.

And hey -
Happy Thanksgiving!