March 6, 2009

WATCHMEN non-spoilery review

Quick background on me and Watchmen: I just read the graphic novel for the first time a few months ago, after the first movie trailer came out. I liked the book, didn't love it. The ending was my favorite part - it was very unexpected and Twilight Zoney.

So what did I think of the movie? I thought it was balls-to-the-wall awesome. Zack Snyder knocked it outta the park. I thought every actor was perfect. Every scene looked great. I was completely impressed by everything except the ending. Let me clarify -- I didn't hate the movie's ending. I just really wish they'd gone with the original "thing" that happens in the book - it feels like such a missed opportunity. With today's CGI, that would've been SUCH a cool thing to bring to life. But whatever, I thought the ending was good enough. It didn't take away from my over all enjoyment, and that's what matters.

A lot of people will have a hard time with Watchmen. I think most casual moviegoers will be expecting an action flick, and it's not at all -- it's more of a murder-mystery character drama. And it deals with a lot of complex, dark stuff. (By the way, parents, PLEASE leave the kiddies at home. Watchmen takes full advantage of its R rating.)

Bottom line: I loved the movie. I think it's going to shock a lot of people whose only real experience with "superheroes for adults" was The Dark Knight.