August 10, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra



G.I. Joe was a MASSIVE part of my childhood. The action figures (holy crap, I loved those action figures), the Marvel comics, the cartoon. Loved 'em all. So I had to give this movie a chance, despite the trailers looking horrible. I went in with lowww expectations.

Turns out, it's a pretty fun movie. I'll be the first to admit - it's VERY cheesy, and there's some laughable acting/dialogue/etc. It's got all the corniness you'd expect from a movie based on a toy line. But somehow all of that doesn't keep it from being incredibly entertaining. And it does something that Transformers failed on - it makes you sort of care about the characters. It gives a little bit of depth in terms of character development and background. It doesn't rely solely on crazy action scenes to make your inner 12-year-old squee. Of course, I'm coming from the perspective of someone who grew up with G.I. Joe - I have no idea if a non-Joe person would enjoy the movie as much. I'm guessing probably not.

Two last quick things -- 1. THE GOOD) I loved Sienna Miller. I expected to hate Baroness, but she ended up being my favorite part of the movie. 2. THE BAD) Snake Eyes' lips. Lips on his mask. So ridiculously stupid and pointless. I hated his fake-muscley fake-mouth-having costume. I don't know why Hollywood thinks heroes need lips (ie. Optimus Prime). Makes me angry.

Anyway, G.I. Joe has plenty of faults - it'll be an easy movie to hate if you go into it with that mindset. But it was much better than I was expecting. Surprisingly, Stephen Sommers didn't pee all over my childhood, and for that I'm happy.

I even kind of look forward to the sequel. We'd better get some Mutt and Junkyard... and Timber!!! /nerd out