August 21, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

I had to get out of the house for a couple hours, and let's face it: I can't resist a new Tarantino movie. Honestly, I didn't have huge expectations going into Inglourious Basterds, but I ended up REALLY enjoying it. It's brutal, tragic, funny, tense. It's the total pulp package we've come to expect from good ol' Quentin. I gotta say, too, kudos to Brad Pitt - he's a lot of fun to watch. But probably the #1 scene-stealer of the movie is a guy named Christoph Waltz. He plays the main Nazi baddie and he's insanely great. I wouldn't be surprised to see him nominated for a few Best Supporting Actor awards.

Obviously, this movie isn't for everyone. If you're squeamish, stay away. If you don't like subtitles or scenes with lots of dialogue, stay away. But if you're a Tarantino fan, you can pretty much guess what kind of craziness you're in for - it's got his stamp all over it, in every possible way. I dug it. I'd say it's probably my 4th favorite film of his, behind Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bills.