December 18, 2009

Avatar



I just got back from a midnight 3D showing of the long-awaited Avatar. Right off the bat, this movie had two things going against it (underwhelming trailers and lame alien designs) and one major thing going for it (James Cameron).

Without giving any long-winded explanations or spoilers, here's my over all opinion on the movie: I really liked it, but I didn't love it.

I thought it had absolutely STUNNING visuals. There are moments that will have you gasping -- you really do get sucked into the world of Pandora for awhile. But unfortunately the story's pretty cookie cutter and predictable.

The highlight of the movie for me was the lead female alien character, played by Zoe Saldana (Uhura in Star Trek). I thought she was amazing. Easily the best CG character I've ever seen. She was the one character I felt emotionally invested in. The rest of the cast... eh, didn't care too much about.

Is Avatar worth seeing? Absolutely. And you need to see it in 3D, it's an awesome experience. Just don't expect much more than two and a half hours of eye candy.