April 10, 2010

Behind-the-Scenes: Thracey



Originally Dimension Dust's leading lady was submitted as a potential (unused) character design for the Clone Wars webcomics. Months later, when I was putting together concepts for Dimension Dust, I was scribbling out some female design ideas and didn't like any of them as much as my Thracey design. So I asked my Lucasfilm editor if it was cool if I went ahead and used her for my own story (to which he said "yes," because he's awesome like that). At the time, I was calling her something else (a more StarWarsy name) - I switched it to Thracey, which felt like a fitting tribute to my favorite BSG blonde butt-kicker.

The costume was inspired by an old Marvel comic, Star Wars #73 - as a kid, I always loved Leia's outfit in that issue. I added my own tweaks, of course, but I really wanted it to be a throwback to that great cover. And her hair was very much inspired by Barbarella.

I was a little hesitant to keep the "Hoth squares" on her outfit, but ya know, at the end of the day, I kind of like that it pays homage to The Empire Strikes Back. Kind of fitting, too, that she would make her debut on the 30th anniversary of ESB. :)

So there ya have it. A brief glimpse into the making of Thracey. I hope you'll check in to DimensionDust.com every week and follow her wacky, epic adventures!