December 19, 2012

Azog the Defiler

Some quick Hobbit fan art of the Pale Orc, Azog the Defiler! Such a cool baddie, I had to draw him. As of this moment (about a week after the movie's come out), there's almost no reference of him available on the internet, so I had to go off memory and a few tiny, blurry pics. Hopefully I didn't mess up that claw too bad. :P I may have to draw his awesome white warg at some point, too, and maybe sneak them both into my new art book.

Some of the book purists are annoyed that Azog's in the movie – The character exists in Tolkien lore, but his story was changed/expanded a bit so that the first film would have a more effective villain, ala Lurtz or Gothmog. I personally thought it worked great. While I love the books, I don't have a single problem with creative adjustments that make for a more solid and entertaining movie. And, c'mon, you need mini-bosses to keep the characters on their toes until they reach the big bosses. It's just good storytelling. :)

I loved The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – I can't wait to see it again this weekend (and REALLY can't wait for film 2, Desolation of Smaug)!